Serve as a technical resource for the Research & Development group. Focus includes, but is not limited to: product innovation, design and development of new products and systems, evaluation of new raw materials, and improvements of existing raw materials. Position will work closely with Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, Innovation, and Product Development.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Participate in technical activities as a member of the Research & Development Department.
- Work as a member of a technical team of approximately 12 scientists and technologists.
Identify new raw materials that can build value, improvement performance of existing and new products, and enhance sustainability.
- Work closely with Innovation Group to support development of innovation and new products.
- Perform pilot board studies including the testing of panels.
- Work with Manufacturing to scale up products for trial and participate in planning and execution of trials at the Manufacturing facilities.
- Conduct panel studies and testing at outside facilities as needed.
Strive for intellectual property protection, first-mover opportunities, and exclusive customer/supplier relationships.
- Participate in the Intellectual Property (patent, licensing, trademark, etc.) efforts within the Wood Products Sector.
- Able to execute experiments with minimal supervision and guidance
- Coordinates critical 3rd party testing, develops criteria and carry out testing/analysis with minimal supervision.
- Handles small projects or assignments independently.
- Uses experience and knowledge to propose improvements to current products and processes. - Prepares complex reports that are technically correct and contain independently developed conclusions and recommendations.
- Provides technical presentations
- Proactively establish and maintain close working relationships with Customers and Suppliers, Marketing, Sales, and Manufacturing teams.
- Represent Product Development and/or serve as Technical representative of cross-functional program teams.
Specialized or Technical Knowledge/Skills:
BS degree in wood products, chemistry, or closely related technical field required.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of basic scientific principles within appropriate technical discipline.
- Proficient at applying scientific methodology.
- Experience in applied research and/or industrial product development, preferably in building materials or closely related field.
Stays current with industry trends, developments, and innovations.
- Knowledge of wood product and chemistry principles as applicable to building product industry.
- Practical knowledge of building technologies, construction processes, and industry trends is favorable.
- Knowledge of testing procedures as relates to basic chemical analysis and evaluation of building materials.
- Ability to use statistical design to develop experiments and analyze data.
- Knowledge of 6-sigma and Lean Manufacturing processes.
Ability to prepare written reports and deliver technical presentations to management.
- Multi-functional team leadership experiences a plus.